- Flour mills
- Grist mills
- Saw mills
- Fulling mills
- Powder mills
- Oil mills
Since the time of our effort, improved digital copies of the census documents have become available elsewhere ( see http://books.google.com/books?id=4zhRAAAAYAAJ ). Also, significant efforts have been undertaken to make available a wide range of historical census data (see below).
While we are making our data available for those who wish to use it, these newer sources should supersede the data hosted here. To download the data visit the data download page.
Other Sources of Data
- Visit the Data Finder page
- Filter by year 1840
- Select table name "Type of Establishment"
- Visit http://dx.doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR02896.v3
- Scroll to DS42: Manufacturing Data (County and State)
- Select the desired format
County Boundary Data
"START_N" <= 18400601 AND "END_N" >= 18400601